It’s that time of the year again. Yes, Hacktoberfest is back and as usual MayaData & OpenEBS is proud to be associated with it for the 4th time again. MayaData has always been an advocate of Open Source by creating one of the most popular open source storage Solution OpenEBS and there is no better place to celebrate Open Source than Hacktoberfest- an yearly event promoting & supporting Open Source Collaboration.
This is our 4th year with Hacktoberfest and throughout these years we have been pleasantly surprised with the participation and enthusiasm that Hacktoberfest attracts from developers around the world. In 4 years, the OpenEBS community received numerous PRs, interacted and met with some awesome creative minds.
If you have always been interested & intrigued by Open Source but don’t know where to start, then Hacktoberfest is a perfect place for you to start.
What is Hacktoberfest?
Hacktoberfest is a month-long celebration of open source software organized by DigitalOcean, Intel, appwrite and deepsource. The goal of the event is to encourage participation in the open source community all across the globe. And the challenge is simple: open four or more high-quality PRs in October and in any open source project to get a limited edition Hacktoberfest T-shirt. That’s it!
How can you contribute to the OpenEBS project?
Since the time of OpenEBS inception, it has grown leaps & bounds with 7k+ Github stars and being one of the most deployed open source storage solutions for Kubernetes. Our latest OpenEBS 3.0 release includes several enhancements & features along with key bug fixes.
We are always looking for contributions from the community whether it is a small documentation correction, bug fixes to feature improvements. Steps to contribute to OpenEBS project during Hacktoberfest is pretty simple:
- You must have a GitHub account. If not, you can create it here
- Register for Hacktoberfest 2021 using your Github account here
- Check for OpenEBS repositories in GitHub and go through the guidelines to make the contribution.
- Now filter the issues with the Hacktoberfest tag and further filter based on language, documentation and good first issue with OpenEBS.
- Pick out few issues and let the maintainer know that you want contribute or fix the issue
- Submit your PR and keep interacting with the maintainers.
- You must register & submit your PR between October 1st- October 31st.
- Our maintainers will go through the PRs and decide on which PR to be merged.
Once your PR is merged, we will get in touch with you to send special MayaData swags to you and the best PR will win a grand prize of Oculus VR Headset.
Last but not the least, Hacktoberfest doesn’t just give you a chance to contribute to an Open Source project, but it also gives you a great opportunity to interact and to be mentored by some of the great minds in Open Source.
Happy Hacking & Coding Hacktober month!
Game changer in Container and Storage Paradigm- MayaData gets acquired by DataCore Software
Managing Ephemeral Storage on Kubernetes with OpenEBS
Understanding Persistent Volumes and PVCs in Kubernetes & OpenEBS