Hacktoberfest is back!
Hacktoberfest is back, whhaaat!?
Join team MayaData this October by participating in the seventh annual Hacktoberfest, a month-long celebration of open source software. Hacktoberfest is a yearly event promoting and supporting Open Source collaborations.
If you want to contribute to open source but didn’t know where to start, Hacktoberfest is the perfect opportunity for you. Hacktoberfest is a month-long celebration of open source software organized by DigitalOcean, Intel, and DEV. The goal of the event is to encourage participation in the open source community all across the globe. And the challenge is simple: open four or more high-quality PRs in October and in any open source project to get a limited edition Hacktoberfest T-shirt. That’s it!
And my favorite part of the event is the community -- an excellent mix of experienced contributors willing to collaborate & mentor!
But I know that Hacktoberfest can get intimidating really fast. There's a lot to study, a lot to read, and a lot to learn.
Help out with MayaData projects
So, what are these projects?
OpenEBS is the most widely deployed and easy to use open source storage solution for Kubernetes. OpenEBS is the leading open-source example of a category of storage solutions sometimes called Container Attached Storage.
LitmusChaos is a Chaos Engineering framework for Kubernetes. It provides a complete set of tools required by Kubernetes developers and SREs to carry out chaos tests easily and in Kubernetes-native way.
The MayaData team invests a significant amount of effort during the month of October to work with contributors and help solve issues marked with #hacktoberfest tags in the OpenEBS and LitmusChaos projects.
- Create a GitHub account (Sign up here)
- Register for Hacktoberfest using your GitHub account (Register here)
- Check if you have Git installed on your computer. If you don’t, then install it.
- You’re all set, so let’s jump in.
- Open your browser and go to these repositories on Github - OpenEBS & LitmusChaos. Scroll down and read the details regarding making contributions.
- Now, filter the issues with the hacktoberfest tag, and further filter out based on language, documentation, good first issue for OpenEBS, good first issue for Litmus, etc.
- Pick up a few issues and let the author of the issues know that you want to fix them and start the interaction.
- Send a PR, and with the continued interaction, you will eventually be able to have your PR merged.
When your PR to any LitmusChaos/OpenEBS repositories are merged, we will get in touch with you to fill out a form to send a special edition t-shirt designed for Hacktoberfest.
Remember, no contribution is too small, and everyone was a rookie at some point in time. From documentation updates to bug fixes or small feature improvements, every pull request has value and helps make the world a better place.
Win Exclusive Swags from OpenEBS & Litmus
The official Hacktoberfest will be giving away free t-shirts to every person making four pull requests to open source repositories during October, as well as limited-edition Hacktoberfest stickers to everyone who participates.
And on top of this, you will also be able to get some exclusive and limited OpenEBS & Litmus swags. When your PR to any of the repositories is merged, we will contact you to fill out a form to send a special edition swags designed for Hacktoberfest.
Not just this, become top weekly contributors, and grab your swags.Prizes will be sent to quality contributions. The best PR will win a grand prize. Stay tuned to find out more.
Snippets from Hacktoberfest 2019
Happy Hacktoberfest! Happy Coding!